Friday, July 14, 2006

Israel Under Siege

I sit here writing this with tears in my eyes. I'm scared of what the future will bring for our beautiful and holy country. I watch the news with such intensity and trepidation. Every time there are casualties on the Israeli side, I think about the families and friends who are suddenly thrown into endless turmoil, with their only comfort that their son/daughter/mother/father/aunt/uncle/friend etc... died on behalf of the state of Israel. They died defending Torah, Yiddishkeit and the state of Israel.

When I returned from my year in seminary, I walked along the streets of New York feeling completely displaced. I felt like a stranger in the land that I grew up in. Slowly that displacement faded but it came back every time I returned to Israel. Yet, those feelings continue to fade. This past week, since the situation has escalated, I walk along those same streets and I feel this complete void, this displacement, this feeling of not belonging.

I know where I should be...in Israel alongside our brethren fighting for our land (maybe not necessarily in the physical sense but certainly in the emotional and spiritual sense). I just can’t help but think, as a friend of mine very well put it...'if mashiach is coming, then I certainly don't want to be here!’ I want to be there so badly...I know many of you are thinking...'well then, just go!’ I can't. I have responsibilities and what not. I wish I could be there with all my heart etc...But it's just not the right time now. Believe me when I tell you, I’ve thought about it.

I daven that we win our war and that all will return to normal -- whatever that means in the middle east. To Israel: I wish I were standing there in Israel with you, in your time of need. I’m certainly there in spirit but I just feel like it’s not enough. I pray that Hashem bring us peace or mashiach ASAP!

11 Comments:

Blogger The Happy Cow said...

It's about time that Israel defended herself and the country be united. May G-d protect our soldiers and our people.

3:34 PM  
Blogger smb said...

Breaks my heart too.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Düdie said...

One thing it is bringing us is low airfares, so now is a great time to go!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm not sure there is an option "peace or Moshiach."

I think we might be getting to the point where there is no resolution aside from Moshiach.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

question?

Since you are a single woman, only responsable for yourself, why can't you go now? If that is where you think you belong and it makes you happy you should go.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just searched flights, and couldn't find anything cheap. Any tips?

7:10 PM  
Blogger Inmymind said...

Lori -- Hey! Welcome! thanx for commenting! From your mouth to G-d's ears!

Ivnsm27 -- Just daven...there's nothing more we can do.

dys -- I'm waiting!!

Sarah -- You're right there is no option -- what I meant was simply that if now is not the right time for whatever reasons Hashem has...then at least bring some peace in the meantime. (p.s. -- I didnt forget about the tagging -- next post!!)

FromSC2NY -- I do have a job!!! I can't just pick up and leave...as far as why am I not starting my life there now? Many reasons, one being shidduchim, ok ok it only takes one, but for better or for worse there are more prospects here. All in the right time. Hopefully I'll be visiting soon!

Josh -- give it a couple of weeks and prices will drop. If you're talking sukkos, not yet, you'll have to wait till it gets closer and people start backing out, prices will then drop...I'm waiting for it too :-)

11:31 PM  
Blogger Düdie said...

Succos prices are already cheaper, I looked 2 weeks ago and found flights for $1200 cheapest, now you can fly Alitalia for under $1000, all in.

Best flights for tickets are (and check them all) sidestep, orbitz and expedia. Sidestep checks all the individual websites as well as orbitz but doesn't always give the best orbitz deal. There are more but it's usually not worth it.

Also, there are all these travel agents who bought seats in bulk and as people cancel reservations these travel agents need to liquidate the seats so anticipate great deals.

Yay for war, the coming of mashiach and cheap airfare!

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not trying to push you or make you upset with me. I just want you to do what makes you happy. You could have just as easily found a job in Israel and there are single men there too; you are so unhappy with dating scecne here a change of location could have been good .My point is that it is definatly an option for you, as it is for everyone, and you are now making the choice to stay. This is not a problem. As you know I do not plan on making aliyah. I do not actually plan on visiting it anytime soon. That has been my decision for a long time and the more times I go there the more that decision is driven into stone. Just some food for t hought. Please do not be angry.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

3:49 PM  
Blogger Inmymind said...

anon1 -- It's not as easy to find a job in Israel as you may think. But it's not only shidduchim that have held me back but other personal reasons...It will happen at the right time and to each person whom you may think has the ability...each person has their own cheshbon, maybe they can't do it for whatever reason.

anon2 - thanx for coming!!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home