Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Hurdle

It's summer time again (wait, I think I pointed that out in a post before) anyway, for me it's a time of change and growth. Time to refocus on the year. Tisha B'av is coming, and soon after Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. I try to get ready. You know, polish myself so that maybe this year Hashem will answer my prayers. It's the time of year I like to take on new chumros or be more stringent on different Halachos or just do something that will remind me of who I am. This all started, way back when I was in seminary, when I came back to America and was uncomfortable with a certain situation. I thought that I would not be able to stay strong. So I took on an added stringency and well, it worked! I was constantly reminded of my place and worked hard to maintain it. Every year, subsequent to that I took on something new. I wanted to take on new levels of yiddishkeit to keep it fresh and new. So, I would feel motivated and not keep everything going at auto-pilot. I'll give the list of my past chumros:

Year #1 -- no more slits
Year #2 -- not exposing my leg (ie tights)
Year #3 -- being makpid on my skirts covering my knees, when standing AND sitting
Year #4 -- being sure to go to shul EVERY shabbos
Year #5 -- Wearing collared shirts at all times

Each one was SO hard. I remember starting and thinking, ‘ya right, I won’t be able to stick to it’. I was sure I was going to fail but somehow I made it through. I won’t give you the illusion that I’m perfect in every area but I try and continue to try to do my best.

Most of these deal with added levels of tznius and most are pretty normal stringencies (aside from the collared shirts...if you would like to know why I chose that, then comment on it and I will write). But most are pretty standard for girls in my framework.

I sit here contemplating what am I going to take on this year. I'm thinking about cutting all my shopping expenses. Yes, that's not buying a single article of clothing unless I absolutely need it. But I don't know if that's necessarily something that will remind me of who I am and keep my commitment to Yiddishkeit strong and unwavering but it's DEFINITELY something I need to work on. Believe me, I have more then enough for one single human being, so it's definitely time to work on that but I need something more motivating, inspiring, changing...you get my point.

I'm going to pose the question to one of my rebbeim, but maybe some bloggers out there can provide some insight. Thanx!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think maybe you should try something that does not focus on tzanuah. There are many other areas in life that we all need to work on. Though we all need to learn to budget, I fail to understand how that is going to help you reach your current goal. Let me know what you think.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Inmymind said...

I agree, thats why I think it's not a good one. I don't think it has to be a tznius thing, but it has to be something that happens daily and is recurring -- so that I can be reminded.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Mata Hari said...

why don't you try learning something? navi, or mesilas yesharim or hilchos loshon harah,etc. - something that you can do a little bit daily.

or...if there's someone lonely you know of, or an older person who can use a phone call or help with groceries. ok...i guess that's not a chumrah. but it's improving yourself.

10:04 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

I think it's wondeful that you're doing this! Kol Hakavod!

I recall taking on not reading non-jewish material on Shabbos. I found it so difficult but eventually, it really shifted the essence of Shabbos for me.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Inmymind said...

Mata Hari -- I was thinking of a learning thing...and there is so much I want to learn!! I'm just nervous I'm going to get lazy about it. There's a shiur in my neighborhood I want to try to start attending but that's only once a week.

Kasamba -- thanx for the positive attitude! The non-jewish reading...oy! I used to be so good about it...and well sadly, at the ripe old age of 24, you get lonely sometimes. I'm a ferocious reader and after seminary I really was very good, in the past year I've been less than pefect...it's so hard! I don't read on shabbos but I would love to be better about it during the week.

To all, I'm thinking about davening maariv every night...what do you think about that one?

11:34 PM  
Blogger chanie said...

Shkoyach! Or you could do the daily tehillim each day after Shacharis...that's what I was thinking.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Inmymind said...

Chanie -- I tried that once - the tehillim for the day of the week (as opposed to the month) it was a lot and too much of a commitment between school and work. I did it seminary but I was blessed with that time. If you have it, go for it, it's great!!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home