Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sinas Chinam

I always remember Hashem’s response to the tears of Klala Yisrael after they realized their mistake by the Chet HaMiraglim -- "Today you cried for nothing; in the future I'll give you a real reason to cry." I shudder every time I read/hear this line and I can honestly look back at my short life and notice that every year there is something to cry about. Whether it is my friend having lost her baby, or her husband, shidduchim for me and my friends, national and global events... The list is endless. There is always a piece of tragedy that has crept its way into our lives.

Tisha B'av is coming up and we morn the destruction of the Beis Hamikdash. We mourn the fact that there was and continues to be Sinas Chinam. It is clear that in our day and age we have not rectified this issue. How many situations do you know or have heard about where one Jew hates another. Why do we continue to add more tragedy to our lives? Why do we have to cause unnecessary pain? Why can’t we stop and say, this is wrong, this is why the Beis Hamikdash was destroyed. How do we fix it?

Losing a friend is probably one of the hardest things in life one goes through; especially if it's someone you sincerely care about and value. Sadly, it's happened to me a few times; whether because of distance, disagreement or misunderstandings. Of the few friends that I have lost, most were for reasons outside of my hands. Yet, I look and realize that even though this is all outside of my hands it is not a reason to let it slip by and pretend that you have no responsibility in the matter.

I find that people (including myself) run away from awkward and uncomfortable situations and are more likely to let something fall by the way side, rather then try to rectify the situation. I look at myself and wonder, how could I let these people slip by? They are people that I have grown from and with and I anticipate having them be a part of my life again.

I look at two of my friends who are in my thoughts at the moment and I'm trying to work up the courage to rectify what I may have done wrong. I'm scared of what the outcome might be and completely terrified of what the other person might think but as a Jew I feel that it is my responsibility to try and change the current situation.

I ask Hakodosh Baruch Hu to give me the strength to do what's right. I daven that we should be zoche to see the building of the Beis Hamikdash speedily in our days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home