Friday, May 19, 2006

Einstein

Ready to shepp (not sure how to spell that...) some nachas? So, almost 3 years ago I was walking to catch a train and I bumped into a guy whom I worked in camp with (yes, my only summer co-ed experience, we'll discuss my trauma from that some other time). We said hello to eachother, I asked him what he was studying in college and he told me he was pre-law but he told me this in the most unenthusiastic voice I have ever heard and I told him so! He told me his parents really wanted him to go into law but I made it clear to him that he was so unhappy and he was only 21 at the time, why waste a whole life so young!? Well, he told me he had thought about medical school and I told him if that's what you want, go for it! and he did! he enrolled in biology and took all the appropriate courses. I heard rumors constantly that I destroyed his life. All he did now was study! We'll everything came full circle. He called me to tell me he got into medical school, the one of his choice. He was even kind enough to say thank you and that he would have never done it had it not been for me knocking some sense into his head. It taught me something important...you NEVER know the impact you could have in someone's life. I barely knew/know this guy but I changed his life.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing!
(Now lets see if you'll convince my sis to make a career change as well:)

12:28 PM  
Blogger almost_frei said...

That is so great...
AH! the koyach ha'dibur!

He just wanted to hear it from someone... and you had the zechus to be the one.

So nu? a future doctor???? ;)

good luck on your search.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! it takes alot of guts to tell an almost stranger that he sound unhappy and to advise him (or her) to make a career change. May you also make the right decision about your future.

I have a feeling that missingmyland is my sis - what career is she thinking of? Do you think her motive for suggesting a career change is because she's sick of marking my papers???

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heads on, wish i was in israel !
Dearest, I will never be sick of marking your papers and finding treasures like "funnie"!!!!!
I was just refrencing back to inmymind's comments last (was it? or two weeks ago?) shabbos....I still think you should stick it out :)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Inmymind said...

Missing my land and wish I was in Israel... I miss you guys SO much over shabbos! Are we back on for this week?? Besides we have careers to discuss...hint hint!

Orlee -- thank you for the bracha!!! From your mouth to G-d's ears.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

IMM - You've doubted the impact you have on others? You are one of the greatest friends that a person can have. So I'm not surprised that even those that you have a minimal relationship with gain a lot. Give yourself the same loyalty that you offer to everyone!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest, I'm not going to home 4 shabbat (though truthfully I really want to) so I'll miss you but I'm sure the rest of the sisters will be thrilled to see you (you're coming, right?!)

9:42 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Wow that must have felt so good.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home