Sunday, January 01, 2006

Yeshivish: To be or not be, that is the question!

I often get into long winded conversations (most of them, unwantingly so) about what it means to be Yeshivish. Unlike most people in my circle, I have grown up with a strong 'yeshivish' background. Where my brothers attended 'black hat' yeshivas, where Torah was the primary focus and all secular studies took a back seat. I on the other hand attended an all girls school where Torah and Secular studies weighed the same. So naturally my brothers and I developed different minsets and goals. No, we are not worlds apart but certainly different. For one example, I am driven towards my secular education, whereas they are not at all.

I just have a good definition of what it means to be yeshivsh. I believe that it means someone who has a view that Torah is the most important thing in the world and that our lives are guided through it, someone who views Daas Torah as a determinig factor for different complications that come up in life, and someone who associates himself with a communtiy/yeshiva with those values.


I'm more curious to hear other people's definitions and what they think it means to be yeshivish.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to disagree with that definition at the end, only because it doesn't describe only a yeshivish person. I think that is a perfect definition of an eved Hashem. It is possible to have all of those things and still not identify with yeshivish. I think the main thing that identifies "yeshivish" lies in the word itself-- the "yeshiva." This supports the concept that people, if possible, should learn all day, every day. Of course there are other issues that identify with yeshivish, but a lot of it crosses over into many different sects of Orthodoxy. However, I love the way you described a true eved Hashem. Lays it all out there. And that is my opinion. :)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Inmymind said...

I hear what you're saying...and in essence you're correct. I just find in our society that you don't necessarily need to be learning in yeshiva to be called yeshivish. It's what you associate yourself with. Hey, maybe I'm wrong but I also think it has a lot to do with dress. Most of these things are silly and trivial...I mean aren't we all Jewish!?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Aviva said...

you said it!

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home